Terms and conditions for Individuals and Group Bunk-barn bookings:
Bookings and payments
• Bookings for individuals or groups require a deposit payment equivalent to 50% of the full booking value, refundable up until 30 days before arrival.
• The balance of the total booking cost is payable during the 7 days before arrival.
• Confirmation of the booking will be given upon receipt of the deposit.
• Cancellation refunds are subject to an administration charge of £10.
• Bookings for Easter and Bank Holidays are a minimum of 3 nights.
• Christmas and New Year is reserved for full-week bookings.
• Bookings at premium times may require payment in full at time of booking.
• Bookings made within 7 days of arrival require full payment at the time of booking.
• A group booking of the Wild Wool Barn is for up to 6 people in a closed group. The group will have sole use of the bedroom and lounge, but be sharing bathroom and washing-up facilities with campers.
• A Large Group booking of the Bunk-barn and camping pitches (up to 6) is possible at a mark-up of 40% of the cost of the whole stay.
• Exclusive booking of the Bunk-barn may be possible if no prior camping bookings have been taken. In this instance none of the facilities will be shared with additional camping guests who are not part of your party. The cost of Exclusive booking is a 40% mark-up on the general shared booking price.
• We do not provide holiday cancellation insurance; we strongly recommend that you take out your own holiday insurance cover.
• 30 full days’ notice of cancellation is required. If this is given then the deposit of 50% of the value of the booking will be refunded.
• If 30 full days notice of cancellation is not received then the deposit of 50% of the value of the stay will not be refunded.
Cancellation by ourselves
In the unlikely event that the Bunk-barn becomes unavailable due to reasons beyond our control we will endeavour to find alternative suitable accommodation. Should this not meet your approval or not be possible we will refund all monies paid. We shall not be under any other liability.
Acceptance of Bookings
The booking is accepted only on the understanding that no more than the number of people declared on the booking shall stay. We reserve the right to refuse or curtail any booking where it subsequently transpires that information has been withheld from us either by numbers in the party or its composition.
We reserve the right to decline to accept a booking, or refuse to admit to the Bunk-barn any person or group where, in our opinion, the facilities are not suitable for the hirer or any member of the hirer’s party, without liability on either side. In such cases we shall not be liable to make any refund of any portion of the hire fee paid.
For health and safety upon arrival, the number of guests residing in the bunk-barn must be confirmed. If the number is to change (i.e. increase/decrease) during the stay we must be informed as soon as practicably possible.
You will be shown around the Bunk-barn upon arrival and made aware of health and safety and fire procedures. You will be issued a key which is for locking the bedroom. There is no lock to the living room and the access to the bathroom and kitchen remains open at all times (unless you have reserved the barn on an exclusive basis).
If you have reserved the bunk-barn for exclusive use there will be a key for the main door as well sa the bedroom keys.
• Be responsible for the good conduct of their group or themselves.
• Be responsible for ensuring the safety of all group members, other guests, residents or otherwise.
• Be responsible for making yourself aware of fire procedures.
• Be responsible for keys supplied. (£5 charge if key isn’t returned)
• Ensure that all passageways are kept clear and fire doors are left unobstructed.
• Ensure that no cooking or reheating of food is done after 11pm.
• Inform the proprietor immediately should there be any power or equipment failure.
• Any breakages must be notified to us as soon as is reasonably practical after they have occurred.
• Ensure that all appliances in the kitchen are switched off properly and that the kitchen is left in a clean and safe condition. In addition, we ask that kitchen equipment is used in a safe and sensible manner. We cannot be held responsible for those who use our equipment and appliances inappropriately.
• To notify any damage or breakages. These must be paid for in terms of cleaning, repairs or replacement.
• Ensure that the Bunk-barn is left clean and tidy.
• Ensure all crockery and cooking utensils are properly washed, dried and put away prior to leaving the kitchen and dining area. The proprietors reserve the right to charge an additional cleaning fee, if this is not done.
• Ensure that all recyclable rubbish is sorted following the instructions given in the kitchen.
• Visitors of hostel guests are not allowed on the hostel premises, unless agreed with the owners in advance.
Wood Burning Stove
An initial basket of wood logs, kindling matches and firelighters is provided. Any further requirement of logs is charged at £10 per basket. Please read the user instructions provided in this pack when you use the stove to ensure efficient and safe use.
The camping barn has underfloor heating in the kitchen and bathroom which is turned on in the colder months and is set to run efficiently and cost effectively.
The electric radiators in the living room and bedroom are set to come on twice a day, when they are required, for a few hours in the morning and from late afternoon to bed-time. The setting should read Auto “On” or “Off”. If the screen reads “Auto Off” and you would like the heating on then just press the “up” arrow button ▲ for 3 seconds and the heating programme will advance. The temperature can be regulated with the round button. If you require any assistance adjusting the radiators or other heating please come and ask at the house.
Bikes and Bike Storage – (available from 2020)
• Bikes are not allowed into the Hostel building under any circumstances.
• The cycle shed should be locked at all times when unattended. The code for the padlock will be provided on request.
• The owners do not accept liability for loss or damage to any bike left in the bike shed.
• You will be allocated a parking space on arrival. Please ensure you use this space.
• When parking please ensure that no access and exit points or gates have been blocked. Parking should be done in a manner that all vehicles can exit at all times.
• If your party has more than 2 cars then you may be asked to park off-site.
• Those in charge of children and teenagers/youths, please ensure that they must not be allowed to climb any walls, gates or to enter fields.
• Guests should not enter any fields or animal enclosures without express permission.
• Dogs are allowed in the hostel for group bookings only.
• All bed linen is provided (Duvets, Pillows, Sheets, etc) and all beds are fully made up prior to arrival
• Towels can be hired by prior arrangements (fee applies)
• Under no circumstances should guests bring pillows, duvets, sheets, blankets or sleeping bags into the hostel. Additional pillows and blankets are available in the room. Guests not complying with this will be asked to leave immediately and will be liable for professional cleaning costs (£30 per room) of any rooms where linen has been brought in. Any outstanding balance of nights booked, but not taken through early departure, will not be refunded.
There is an outside patio with a BBQ. Charcoal is available to buy on site (£10 including lighters and matches). This equipment and area must be used safely, responsibly and left clean for future use. A cleaning fee may be charged if this is not done.
No liability is accepted in respect of loss or damage to any group member, their baggage, car or contents, resulting from riot, war, strikes, adverse weather conditions or sickness or injury or for loss or damage by a third party. This does not exclude liability for the actions of employees, agents or subcontractors of us as the hostel owners.
If, upon arrival you feel that there are reasonable grounds for complaint we must be notified immediately so that, if possible, appropriate action can be taken during your stay. If a reason for complaint should arise during your stay, you must similarly contact us as soon as the problem arises. No complaints will be considered after completion of your stay, unless they were raised when they arose.
Whilst everything will be done within our power to attend to repairs to property, furniture, equipment, facility that may be faulty or fail during your stay, no guarantees will be given and no refunds will be granted should any breakdown occur and not be immediately rectified.
Conduct of individuals and groups
Routen Farm – Wild Wool Barn is in a quiet location and there are other visitors staying in the house adjoining and across the fields (loud noise can travel!).
We therefore ask our hostel guests to:-
• Keep noise levels both outside and inside within reasonable limits. Especially in the evening and after 11pm.
• Ensure children are supervised at all times.
• Keep drinking to a reasonable level.
• The Bunk-barn is a strictly no-smoking establishment. Guests wishing to smoke are requested to do so outside well away from the house and barn, disposing of cigarette butts in a tidy fashion. Please note that offending guests may be asked to leave immediately and may be liable for professional cleaning of any rooms and any outstanding balance of nights booked but not taken through early departure.
• Anyone found in possession of or using illegal drugs will be required to leave the premises immediately.
• Candles, joss sticks, fireworks and primus/gas stoves are not permitted in the Bunk-barn due to fire risks.
Servicing of the hostel
The communal areas and bathrooms are serviced at the end of each stay or more often if required, bathrooms cleaned, bins emptied, communal area floors cleaned, fire escape routes checked etc… If during your stay you feel anything needs attention or you run out of toilet rolls, tea towels or cleaning products please request these from the house.
• All bedrooms should be vacated promptly by 10am on the day of your departure.
• All group members to check out by 11am
• Guests should strip the sheet, duvet cover and pillowcase from their beds and place them on the floor.
• Return keys to the house (£5 charge if key isn’t returned)
• Check that all belongings have been collected. We cannot be held responsible for anything left behind.
• Should you wish to leave your luggage or car on the day of departure, please ask as we may be able to assist.
• Rooms should be left clean and tidy.
• Kitchens and other public areas should be left clean as found. All cleaning materials and tools are provided for your use.
We cannot accept responsibility for any property left behind at the end of your stay. Whilst we will make every reasonable effort to return lost property this will only be done on receipt of a minimum payment of £10 to cover the cost of packaging and registered post. Any larger items will be charged at the postage rate plus a £5 packaging and handling charge.
All items broken or damaged must be reported to the proprietors as soon as possible.
The proprietors reserve the right to charge for breakages and damage, with a minimum fee of £20 for small items, which will cover replacement costs. Larger items will be charged at replacement or repair costs, plus a £20 administration fee.
Internet Usage Policy
As the philosophy of the Wild Wool Barn is to provide a “back-to-nature” opportunity to get away from it all, and enjoy the unique unspoilt location of the Ennerdale Valley there is no broadband/internet access. Phone signals are patchy and intermittent, O2 and Vodaphone being the most reliable currently (2018). 3 and 4g have been known to be intermittently received outside the perimeter of the property. If you have an emergency we will be happy to assist with the landline in the house but this is reserved for true emergencies.
Some of the data gathered during the course of a booking may be held on computer. We would like to hold this data after your visit to be able to inform you of future offers. Please let us know if you would like us to stay in touch with you after your stay.
Should anyone not observe the above terms and conditions, the proprietors reserve the right to cancel the booked accommodation and retain any monies paid for subsequent nights.
If payment for your stay has been made by debit or credit card then these details will be used for any additional and outstanding charges.
Any legal fees incurred in pursuing payment will be borne by you.
Bookings are accepted on the understanding that the above terms and conditions will be observed in full.
The proprietors reserve the right to change the above terms and conditions without notice.
Wild Wool Barn